Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering: Responsible for management, design, engineering, specifying, contracting and construction of assigned projects. Makes feasibility studies, economic evaluations and the monitoring of on-going operations to support manufacturing operations. Provides problem solving and support of plant process equipment including process control systems.
1. Effectively manage projects which includes, establishing detailed and defined scopes, detailed bid packages (including firm estimates), timelines with milestones, estimated completion dates, identifying key accountabilities and provide guidance & expertise to keep projects on track & within budget. Provide new or updated PFDs and P&IDs to reflect the project installation. Provide drawings & documentation for equipment and control systems before during and after project implementation.
2. Manage plant process control strategy, architecture, and systems. Lead integration efforts when required to implement standardized control systems.
3. Develops the detailed engineering scope for all major projects including cost estimates and capital CER’s.
4. Provides engineering review of projects being proposed by various departments.
5. Design and engineer major projects using (and directing) consulting engineering firms as required to fulfil objectives. Consult with and obtain plant agreement on final design. Also consult with other functions, internal and external, such as safety, accounting, insurance, etc. concerning engineering phases relating to them.
6. Evaluates, selects and purchases major equipment, consulting firms and construction contractors.
7. Coordinate all functions ranging from initial design, purchasing, outside engineering, expediting of material, construction, scheduling with plant operations to minimize or eliminate production losses, and start-up to meet the project deadline.
8. Keep informed on new technology and equipment which may have potential use for new projects and improvement of existing facilities (both process and environmental).
9. Complete Hazard reviews (PHA’s) and Safety reviews for new and existing projects
10. Contracted engineering interfacing to assure comprehensive and effective design, utilizing engineering standards where possible.
11. Process review and layout.
12. Coordination of activities to maintain production capability during start up and transition of processes and equipment following successful demonstration of project deliverables.
13. Equipment selection, acquisition, installation, commission and prove-out
14. Management of contractors throughout the construction and commissioning process. Includes supervising build to scope and engineering specifications, resolving change orders, adherence to safety standards, and final as-built documentation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Complete understanding and adherence to safety, health, and environmental rules and regulations
• B.S. Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering with 8 to 12 years’ experience in a chemical manufacturing, batch processing and packaging setting
• Thorough & demonstrated understanding of process control systems including DCS, PLC and HMI’s
• Very strong Project Management skills.
• Plant design experience, including process control system experience and expansion capability.
• Equipment selection, purchase, and installation experience
• Strong communication skills
• Proficient user of computer equipment. This includes Lotus Notes, Word, Excel, MS Project and ERP software
• Process control experience preferred