Opening a search for an experienced Environmental Health and Safety Engineer with seven years or more of responsibility in occupational safety, health and environmental compliance in an industrial setting. The successful candidate must have demonstrated project management and leadership experience.
Manage the Company's safety, health, environmental, and sustainability programs. Oversee the development and implementation of plans and programs for proactive prevention of workplace injuries and accidents. Use a continuous improvement approach.
1. Develop and implement safe work practices, create/maintain a sustainable safety culture ensuring
associates are following policies, procedures, and practices.
2. Oversee/ manage all accident and injury investigations; identify root cause and necessary corrective
action to prevent reoccurrence. Ensure follow-up procedures are in place and utilized.
3. Implement changes in procedures, policies, training, etc. as necessary to prevent accident
reoccurrence and to improve safety and environmental performance. Ensure follow-up procedures
are in place and utilized.
4. Conduct facility audits and assessments to proactively identify safety deficiencies/opportunities,
training or facility or equipment upgrade, repair or movement. Develop and implement proactive
solutions and alternatives that solve the identified issues.
5. Ensure the facility is in compliance with OSHA, ANSI, EPA, IDEM and all other regulations. With
appropriate leadership and resources, implement changes to ensure compliance.
6. Stay current in changes to all applicable laws and major programs (LOTO, Hazcom, Hearing
7. Work with associates to understand problems, issues, and obtain suggested alternatives.
8. Lead the sustainability program, identify ways to use fewer resources, reduce waste, recycle more
and maintain our zero land fill free status.
9. In conjunction with workers compensation insurance carrier and industrial nurse develop and
implement strategies and plans to administer workers compensation claims and return associates to
work as soon as possible.
10. Oversee hazard and peer observation programs to include administering coordinating and conducting
training, tracking, etc.
11. Oversee the compilation and reporting of accident and safety statistics on a periodic and regular
basis and ensure all required reports on injuries are completed.
12. Perform job safety analysis on all positions to identify job demand requirements and safe work
practices. Utilize all internal resources.
13. Coordinate the development, implementation, and maintenance of safety SOP’s on all plant
14. Lead coordination efforts for all external safety audits and ensure, through delegation as needed, that
follow-through is reported and tracked on all identified items.
15. Coordinate and conduct safety meetings and safety training.
Indirect Reports: Safety Team
Education Level Requirement:
Bachelor's Degree required in EH&S, Science, Industrial Hygiene, or related field.
Masters in EH&S is preferred.
Seven or more years of responsibility in occupational safety, health, environmental compliance in and industrial setting required. Leadership and demonstrated project management experience a must. Professional certification as CSP or CIH is preferred.
1. Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
2. Working knowledge of federal, state, and local EH&S statutory requirements essential.
3. Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office software and ability to acquire proficiency in additional
software pertaining to job function.
4. Experience understanding safety as it pertains to both manufacturing and warehouse.
5. Read, write, speak and understand English.
6. Hands-on knowledge of production systems, project management, leaderships skills, influence skills,
root cause analysis, 5s, Lean and Six Sigma, SPC concepts, team leadership, and ability to self-
generate improvement ideas.
7. Close attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and excellent planning
and organizational skills.